Now that’s a King!
Grace, mercy and
peace be unto you from God who is Creator, Christ and Comforter. Amen
As we look at the lesson this morning from Jeremiah, we see
such a contrast! There sits King
Jehoiakim, whose name means: "he whom Yahweh has set up;"
son of Josiah in his warm room as Jehudi reads the scroll given to ALL of Judah
from Yahweh. Jehoiakim ruled in very
troubling times in Judah. He was seated
on the throne by Necho II, who was king of Egypt in place of his brother. He
paid heavy tribute to Egypt to keep Judah from being conquered and their best
people from being carried off to places unknown. Then, the Babylonians defeated the Egyptians
and Jehoiakim had to switch allegiances to keep Judah safe from
Nebuchadnezzar.
It is said Jehoiakim was a tyrant – and he willfully
disobeyed the Laws of Yahweh, the Lord of Lords.
What does this tyrant do as Jehudi reads the scroll? As 4 or 5 columns in the scroll are read, he
cuts them off and tosses them into the fire! Now, that’s a real exercise in using imperial
authority, if there ever was one! Did he
think that he was greater than God by burning the scroll? Or, did he feel abandoned by God thinking that
it couldn’t get any worse than it was right then? Or, did he think he could keep the people
from obeying God’s words by burning them?
The problem is…they had already heard them from the scribe, Baruch, on
the day they came to the Temple. People
were probably already talking about (or maybe laughing about?) the upcoming
disasters “if they don’t turn from their evil ways!” Who was God to talk against the mighty nation
of Israel?!?!
Aren’t we as guilty sometimes? It’s probably not a scroll we burn to try to
prove that we are greater than God…but I know I’ve tried to keep God from acting
in my own little world! I may choose an
action, or inaction; I may choose
denial…just when I should be confessing!
My greatest way to defy God?
Stubbornness! I want to do things
my way – when I want to do them – thank you very much, O Holy One!
We are reminded in our lesson today of the powerful promise
God made to Jeremiah just a few chapters earlier as we hear the words…the days are surely coming, says the LORD…when
I will put the law within their hearts and ALL will know me and I will remember
their sin no more! Wow!
I wonder…has it ever happened? Or, are we still waiting?
I hope you caught onto the incredible love that is in this
text coming from God. The people of
Israel keep messing up – over and over and over again – and God keeps sending
prophets to speak God’s loving truth to those people over and over and over
again! God keeps longing for a
restoration of relationship…and God is persistent at this! God longs to bless rather than punish! God keeps speaking through the prophets…and
the people keep on ignoring God’s spokesmen!
Sounds all too familiar, doesn’t it?
So…God tries another tack…years later. God sends not a prophet, but God’s only son. Jesus was born and lived among us to speak in
fleshly form those words of love, and longing for restoration of
relationship! Jesus goes throughout
Palestine healing and teaching and feeding and reminding people of God’s
persistent, prevalent love for them.
We catch a glimpse of this love each week as we gather here
and take communion. We see this image in
our mind’s eye, as we stand alongside those disciples in that upper room so
many years ago. “Do this in remembrance of me,” Jesus tells those disciples at that
first Holy Communion.
And, we do. Each week
we celebrate Holy Communion and we remember.
But, do we, really…/…remember? It
was a horrific price for God’s only son to pay…giving us his very self…so that
we can sit here comfortably in our pews this morning and call Jesus King of
Kings and Lord of Lords!
We have a cross hanging front and center in our space. It’s there to remind us of the price Jesus
paid so long ago to claim that title.
And I wonder how often we look at this beautiful cross and remember the
agonizing death Jesus suffered there! It
was such a cruel instrument of torture that even cold, cruel Rome
stopped using it eventually realizing it was too inhumane even for them!
Jesus died willingly.
He foretold this to those disciples in that upper room as he said to
them, “This is my body, given for you. This is my blood, shed for you.” Wow!
What a sacrifice, King Jesus!
In confirmation last week, Pastor Mike talked about
martyrdom and the fact that many Christians – even today – suffer and die for
their faith…a faith that I feel we often take for granted…just like this cross
hanging in our sanctuary.
This week we pause and say “Thank you,” as we gather with
friends and family around the Thanksgiving table. You may even have as a tradition going around
the table and saying what you are thankful for.
I hope, that even if it doesn’t pass your lips,…I hope that you will be
thankful for our faith in your heart.
We serve a God who is persistent and whose love is pervasive
and personal. God keeps coming to us,
seeking relationship with us, and through Jesus, God shows us how to live in
communion with God and in community with each other.
Jesus gives us himself, in love, forever! Now, that’s a King!
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
Spirit. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment